Pages

Thursday 3 December 2015

FO: Lady Skater x11billionty!

After an incredibly long hiatus my sewing machines are back up and running, which should be pretty obvious seeing as my last post was about a sewing project.  I've just got a bit out of order because I'm finding it a bit of a task to get things photographed in a timely fashion.  Now it's winter it is incredibly dark inside my house and it's far too cold to go outside so I'll make my excuses about the quality of my photography in the coming months and we'll say no more about it from now on if you don't mind?

Once  was back in business I did begin by trying to finish the New Look 6262 dress that I was halfway through when the great sewing machine rearrangement happened, but I really wasn’t feeling it.  I did install the second half of the zip because it annoying me that it was left like that, but I couldn’t make myself knuckle down and finish it off.  What I needed was a quick and easy project to get me back on track.  Something that would take very little time but was guaranteed to turn out great and get me feeling like sewing again.  Basically there was no way that this project was ever going to be anything other than a Lady Skater, in fact I very nearly cut out the fabric to make 2 at the same time but I was raring to go (raring to sew!) after the first one.


At this point there’s not a whole lot to say about this pattern and me.  This was the first time I used the full length sleeves and I will need to shorten them just a little next time.  There was a minor incident resulting in me having to cut the sleeves twice after I forgot that I’d actually cut off the top of the pattern piece when I’d used cap sleeves with the intention to stick that bit back on again come winter.  I knew that piece looked weird when I was cutting it out but the bit of my brain which remembered what I’d done remained silent on the matter until it was too late.  Luckily there was enough fabric to cover this, but I had been hoping to have enough left for a tshirt for Cassie L

The fabric is a poly jersey from The Textile Centre on eBay and I’ve managed to tempt one of my colleagues in to buying some of the same stuff in the green colourway (mwahahaha!) because it really is quite nice.  I love the retro-ness of it and it’s lovely and snuggly.  In fact I’m almost tempted by a green version myself.
No idea what's going on here, but my face is hilarious!
Although I should totally be getting on with my poor abandoned NL 6262 I’ve got the walking foot and a ballpoint needle in my machine now so I’ll probably bash out a couple more jersey projects while the machine is set up.  My sister is coming round on Saturday for a bit of help making her first t-shirt from some lovely fabric she got on our trip to the Knitting and Stitching Show in October and I’m really looking forward to seeing how that turns out.  I'm also planning a major scrap stash bust where I'll be sewing up lots of little tshirts dresses and leggings, basically anything that I can squeeze out of the leftovers that I have kicking around.

No comments: