Pages

Monday 31 August 2015

FO: Burda 9440 for Made Up Initiative

A few days a go I pledged to make a pair of trousers for Cassie as part of my donation to the Made Up Initiative and I'm pleased to say that they are done and boy are they cute!



I used Burda 9440 which includes shorts, trouser and cropped trousers to fit ages 2-7.  Cassie chose the full length trousers because she like the flowery fabric on the pattern envelope.  She had a little trouble understanding that hers would be different, but I was happy she chose the longer ones as Autumn starts to loom.  All in all there's not much to say about these, they're pretty simple kecks for a child and I'll be making a pair of these for the girls every time there's fabric left over from making trousers for me.  I did, however, learn a few lessons during the course of this project.

  1. Trust your instincts.  Before I began I wasn't really sure why trousers for a 3 year old needed and elastic waist and a zip fly.  I went ahead and sewed the zip in (twice, Burda directions struck again!) and she can get them on and off without opening them no trouble.
  2. Don't get cocky.  Just because you've sewn several waistbands on to fly fronted trousers doesn't mean you can completely ignore the directions.  There was a reason the waistband was so long and checking before chopping off the excess might have been a good idea.  Subsequently there was no room for a buttonhole but because these don't need to open a small snap did the trick. Phew.
  3. When using a safety pin to guide elastic through a waistband channel it is generally good idea to remove it before sewing the channel shut!
  4. Upon finishing a project for your child they will declare loudly that they don't like and cry while you try it on them.  Do not expect gratitude.
So that's that.  I can't wait to see what everyone else made.

No comments: