Pages

Wednesday 14 January 2015

FO: Family Tree Shawl

I've got finishing fever here, not only have I finally finished my Family Tree shawl, 4 Months after the MKAL finished but I'm actually nearly done on a cardigan that Ravelry tells me I started in 2010! More about that in a couple of days though.

A couple of clues into this mystery knit it became clear that, while the shawl was pretty, it wasn't going to be quite my style. As I knitted I became fairly sure this would be a great gift for my mum. I attempted to get it done for Christmas but, despite having no trouble with the Latvian braid first time round I completely lost the plot on the second one and ended up putting the whole thing aside again and bought my mum a gift instead. No worries, there's always her birthday to aim for instead I thought. My mother, being completely inconsiderate however was born on 4th Jan, so unsurprisingly I wasn't finished by then either. When I finally found time to pick it back up again I found that actually my Latvian braid had been correct but for some reason it just looked weird and when I ripped back and tried again it was even worse so all I needed to do was knit it again the way I did it the first time and it was fine. Finishing from there was super quick and my mum got her shawl a mere week after her birthday.

I was very pleased to see that she had posted a picture of it on Facebook the morning after she received it, so I think it's safe to say that it was well received. There were lots of lovely comments too, so I'm really pleased. That said, I'm going to try and be strong and resist the call of MKALs this year. I have so much I want to knit without adding in complete unknowns. It is fun and I really enjoy the knitting along aspect but I really want to make a dent in the queue this year and maybe just watch a few MKALs as they progress and live vicariously through other mystery knitters.

 

No comments: