Pages

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Breaking the rules

After all of the drama when it came to getting my last project off the ground you'd think, just a few days later, that choosing my next project would be equally tiresome.  Luckily this is not the case and I'm all set and ready to cast on not one but two new projects.  Obviously this breaks all the rules I set myself to stop me flitting from WIP to WIP without ever finishing anything, but this really is a one off and I do have my reasons.

For a while now, I have been resisting the urge to knit a baby blanket.  We have quite a few already, both hand made and shop bought and with so many projects in the queue I don't really have the time to commit to a larger project.  My resolve has been tested when I see all of the lovely blankets that the ladies in my due date group on Ravelry have been producing, but so far I have resisted.  That was until I saw the Star Illusion Blanket by Katie Ahlquist.  This really appeals to me and I have to make it.  I have accepted that I can't work on this exclusively, I have too much else I need to finish before January and I have therefore also accepted that this will most likely not be finished before baby is born.  The idea is that whatever else I am working on will be my main project and I will try and get a couple of rows of this blanket done each day if I can.  Once it's done, that's it, I'll be a good girl and there will be no more secondary projects.  Probably..

So what's my main project?  These little motif-mittens.  I'm really excited about casting these on.  They are cute little mittens and they have colourwork, which has been on my 'to master' forever and these are the perfect little project to help me take the plunge.  There is a choice of about 8 motifs for these mittens and I have chosen the little robot for mine.  I love stuff with robots on but these things can be few and far between for little girls.  I love the idea of making them in super girly colours but with the distinctly non-girly motif because that's how I roll.

3 comments:

Leah said...

Thanks for linking to that baby blanket. I hadn't seen the pattern before and it is beautiful! Good luck with it and your other projects :)

Renee Anne said...

I started Little Man's blanket when I was about 4 or 5 months along and didn't finish it until after his first birthday. It was fine though :)

Hanrahan said...

That makes me feel better. Realistically I'm aiming for her first Christmas and if I finish before then it will be a bonus