Pages

Tuesday 2 June 2009

Sewing Machine Meme

Saw this sewing machine meme on the Sew Mama Sew blog (check out blogs I read) and thought I'd fill it in. I spent absolutely ages researching before I bought my machine so I think it is a really great idea that they are collecting people's responses to create a really useful resource. Right, let's crack on!

What brand and model do you have?

Janome 4618

How long have you had it?

About 3 months

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

£195

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

I bought it to make clothing but I also make bags and cushions etc. Anything I can think of - I'm not a quilter though.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I try to sew every week, so between half and hour and 3 hours a week maybe.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I like my machine a lot. When I decided to try out sewing I bought a cheapo machine because I didn't want to spend money on something I didn't use. That machine only lasted a few months and was not a pleasure to use when it was working. This machine was worth the money to me because everything just seems easier and I'm much less frustrated.

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

I like the top loading bobbin - I'm very lazy and the temptation to sew everything with the same thread is overwhelming if it takes ages to reload. I love the overcasting stitches and the way all the feet and needles have their own cubby holes in the top of the machine. Being able to change the speed to low on the foot pedal is useful too.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

Not really but I haven't had it very long.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

Again not really, but I can see myself sticking with it for a long time so who knows!

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

Absolutely. For a sort of mid range machine it was not too spendy and I've had no probs at all. I did do alot of research before I purchased it because I didn't want to buy another hunk of junk but at the same time I didn't want to spend more than necessary. It has all the features I wanted without being bogged down by stuff I'll never use. It is well constructed and charges through loads of layers without breaking a sweat.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

Think about what you realistically will use it for, taking into consideration any skills you want to learn in the near future. Considering that make a list of things which are essential and desirable for you and look for machines that have those.

Do you have a dream machine?

One with a little hot plate to keep my cup of tea warm!

No comments: